Thursday, July 1, 2010

The DVD Crazies: Much Better Than It Ever Should Have Been

Way back when came out a horrible movie called Sahara. It was based on a Clive Cussler book starring Mathew McConahey as Dirk Pitt (I loathe that name), an action adventure that was neither action nor adventure. I blamed it on the director, first timer Breck Eisner, son of douchbag Michael Eisner who still owes me money for the film his company stole from me a decade ago. I figured well we know how this little prick got his job. The movie was awful, the script lousy and the directing pedestrian. Too bad because Cussler has a zillion books out and while I don't care for them there is certainly a loyal audience out there. When I heard he was directing the remake of a rather mediocre George A Romero movie from the 70's I was less than interested. But then the reviews came in and they said it was really good. REALLY GOOD. I had to see for myself. And to the theater I went. And impressed I was. Had to hand it to the guy he did one of the better films in this lackluster year of film.
The original was filmed in Pittsburgh, like all his films and worked in parts. The stuff that happened in town was great. But the military subplots were dull and pointless. The remake wisely ditches that and leaves us with just the townspeople's stories, particularly that of the town Sheriff played well by Tim Olyphant and his doctor wife Judy (Radha Mitchell). As the town starts to schitz out from reel one, we find the water supply is infected with something and is turning all the residents insane and violent. It plays like a typical zombie/infected film but the directing is quite good and suspenseful and the acting top notch.
This is a good scary movie, lots of gore, lots of things jumping out at you. Not for the squeamish.

3 and 1/2 stars out of five.

PS With the death knell of Jonak Hex, a new horrible film makes it out with the Last Airbender which is actually getting worse reviews than any other movie I've seen this year. Avoid at at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment