Friday, July 23, 2010

The Skeptic: Why Are The Best Movies Coming Out On DVD

I have seen some real wank this year in the theater. All I have to say is thank God for Netflix. I have rented some really great movies this year as you can see from previous posts. One of the best companies putting out these independent movies is IFC films. Responsible for movies such as Pontypool and Dead Snow, they are easily the best company to find low budget, effective horror movies. Their latest that I have seen is The Skeptic staring Tim Daly as level headed Bryan Beckett. After his aunt dies, he moves into her house and begins to see weird things like an apparition of a woman and whispers from the dark. Aided by a high strung psychic Cassie (Star Trek's Zoe Saldana) and his law partner Sully (Tom Arnold), Bryan begins to unravel the secrets of the house and his forgotten childhood.
The first movie from director Tenneyson Bardwell is a creepy haunted house movie that has more emotional drama than outright scares. But I have to say, the directing is quite good as is the storyline, which is more than I can say about just about every major release this year. For example the writer for Salt is a hack, most of whose catalog I found to be unwatchable. How does a guy like that keep getting work? Because Hollywood is too lazy and inbred to seek out new talent thus we keep getting Diablo Cody movies or terrible John Logan adapatations.
For those who love movies the IFC brand is a sign of excellence. I'm sure they have their share of awful movies but I have yet to see any I didn't like and a few I absolutely loved (Pontypool, The Triangle). If you like horror this is the new studio to watch for.

3 and 1/2 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment