The group gained access to over two million documents, mostly from the British Virgin Islands, showing that there may be as much as $32 trillion stashed in off shore accounts. While some have that number much higher, current consensus sticks with around $30 trillion, and even that is an obscene number. The people listed are your usual brand of "billionaires" who are anything but.
It exposes the lie that Greece and Cyprus went bankrupt because of bad deals but by theft instead. The money wasn't being given to lazy Greeks who wanted a thirty hour work week and huge benefits, but to the elites who were lining their pockets with it and then blaming everyone but themselves. Sound familiar?
Here's some of the names from the list:
• Jean-Jacques Augier, François Hollande's 2012 election campaign co-treasurer, launched a Caymans-based distributor in China with a 25% partner in a BVI company. Augier says his partner was Xi Shu, a Chinese businessman.
• Mongolia's former finance minister. Bayartsogt Sangajav set up "Legend Plus Capital Ltd" with a Swiss bank account, while he served as finance minister of the impoverished state from 2008 to 2012. He says it was "a mistake" not to declare it, and says "I probably should consider resigning from my position".
• The president of Azerbaijan and his family. A local construction magnate, Hassan Gozal, controls entities set up in the names of President Ilham Aliyev's two daughters.
• The wife of Russia's deputy prime minister. Olga Shuvalova's husband, businessman and politician Igor Shuvalov, has denied allegations of wrongdoing about her offshore interests.
•A senator's husband in Canada. Lawyer Tony Merchant deposited more than US$800,000 into an offshore trust. He paid fees in cash and ordered written communication to be "kept to a minimum".
• A dictator's child in the Philippines: Maria Imelda Marcos Manotoc, a provincial governor, is the eldest daughter of former President Ferdinand Marcos, notorious for corruption.
• Spain's wealthiest art collector, Baroness Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza, a former beauty queen and widow of a Thyssen steel billionaire, who uses offshore entities to buy pictures.
• US: Offshore clients include Denise Rich, ex-wife of notorious oil trader Marc Rich, who was controversially pardoned by President Clinton on tax evasion charges. She put $144m into the Dry Trust, set up in the Cook Islands.
These are just a few of the names on the list. Is one of the names on that list that of allegedly mythical Yohannes Riyadi? He is rumored to be Indonesian after all. At the very least, he may be a phantom invented to be the face of hidden money, kind of like Keyser Soze.
Russia is one of the first countries to do something about this by submitting a law to the Duma ordering all citizens to remove all money from off shore accounts. We should be doing the same here, but of course, aren't.
Not surprisingly Deutsch Bank, long rumored to be filled with slush fund money from the CIA, Saddam Hussein, the mob and other nefarious organizations, has been linked to helping set up 300 offshore accounts for wealthy clients. In Greece, just four out of 107 offshore accounts, paid any tax at all on their holdings.
The facts remain that the world elites are stealing our money and then telling us we're broke and it's our fault for wanting affordable health care, a livable wage and clean air and water. Unreal. Worse, the most gullible of us are buying into it and electing individuals that are making things worse and worse. And the cherry on top is that the democrats appear to abandoning us as well with our President deciding less money for seniors as a good thing while blue state governors keep enacting laws that are destroying jobs. CT looks to be going down the drain as gun manufactures, of which there are a lot in the state, are all looking into leaving due to the stringiest gun laws putting them out of business. Colt has already announced that one of its subsidies will be moving to North Texas and the whole industry itself is most likely moving out of state as well, and with it, thousands of well paying jobs. Genius guys.
The Republicans are still trying to enact voting repression laws which we will go into later the week. And these brainless morons are turning our government into a Parliamentary system where minority rule is possible. It turns out that just 11% of this country is holding the rest of us hostage. Bill Maher may be right that two senators for each state is an outdated idea that needs to go. It is certainly not doing us any favors right now.
The facts show us that trillions upon trillions are being stolen from us, and considering the derivative market has an estimated loss ratio of over a quadrillion dollars, the $30 trillion may be low on the estimate scale, and instead, hundreds of trillions may in actuality be out there. In other words, there is enough money out there to fix every problem, give everyone on Earth a good job and still leave the rich enough money to lord over us. That is greed. And if it doesn't stop, we will soon be living in much different planet where the rich have it all and we fight for table scraps. We are not that far from that now. Start fighting for the future and not against it. Not voting for any Tea Bagger is a good start.