I looked over all the evidence they gave and truth be told, Wilson's story is backed up by the forensic evidence. Three autopsies all said the same thing that Mike Brown attacked Wilson in his car (also backed up by at least eyewitnesses), and then for some inane reason ran back toward him linebacker style. And while there are some inconsistencies with Wilson's story as his injuries do not suggest a huge beating by a much larger man, there is no evidence that Wilson had his hands up and was surrendering when shot which many, many people wrongfully claimed to see.
A scientific study from 2005 called The Color of Crime suggest these facts:
• Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.
• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty- five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.
• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely
The methods used in this study are scientifically sound and show that black people are more likely to commit crimes and their sentences are usually longer because they almost always have a longer criminal record. I will try to devote a column about this later but for now I have other fish to fry.
This is from Fivethirtyeight.com:
Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.
If the prosecutor wants an indictment and doesn’t get one, something has gone horribly wrong,” said Andrew D. Leipold, a University of Illinois law professor who has written critically about grand juries. “It just doesn’t happen.”
Cases involving police shootings, however, appear to be an exception. As my colleague Reuben Fischer-Baum has written, we don’t have good data on officer-involved killings. But newspaper accounts suggest, grand juries frequently decline to indict law-enforcement officials. A recent Houston Chronicle investigation found that “police have been nearly immune from criminal charges in shootings” in Houston and other large cities in recent years. In Harris County, Texas, for example, grand juries haven’t indicted a Houston police officer since 2004; in Dallas, grand juries reviewed 81 shootings between 2008 and 2012 and returned just one indictment. Separate research by Bowling Green State University criminologist Philip Stinson has found that officers are rarely charged in on-duty killings, although it didn’t look at grand jury indictments specifically.
There are at least three possible explanations as to why grand juries are so much less likely to indict police officers. The first is juror bias: Perhaps jurors tend to trust police officer and believe their decisions to use violence are justified, even when the evidence says otherwise. The second is prosecutorial bias: Perhaps prosecutors, who depend on police as they work on criminal cases, tend to present a less compelling case against officers, whether consciously or unconsciously.
The third possible explanation is more benign. Ordinarily, prosecutors only bring a case if they think they can get an indictment. But in high-profile cases such as police shootings, they may feel public pressure to bring charges even if they think they have a weak case.
“The prosecutor in this case didn’t really have a choice about whether he would bring this to a grand jury,” Ben Trachtenberg, a University of Missouri law professor, said of the Brown case. “It’s almost impossible to imagine a prosecutor saying the evidence is so scanty that I’m not even going to bring this before a grand jury.”
What the DA here did have a choice over was when to release the information which was at the worst possible moment. This guy's an ass and deserves to be kicked out of office stat.
Then we have the Republicans who are clamoring for the Keystone Pipeline which will do absolutely nothing, are still screaming about Benghazi even though there is no proof of any wrongdoing (think lynch mob here again) and whose economic policies they keep trotting out are the exact same crap they have peddled for decades now with predictable, terrible results. And some of you out there voted for this crap? Democrats may have run a piss poor campaign, but believing anything the GOP says is equally stupid.
Maybe we should just elect people by random drawing because elections are killing us. Stop believing stupid shit. Global warming is real and can be seen with the naked eye in places like Glacier National Park which will soon have no glaciers. Black people commit more crimes than white people. Bill Cosby got away with raping women for so long by playing the race card. No more alright. And Republicans are the stupidest fuckers on the face of this Earth. Once we accept these truths to be self evident, maybe we can finally start moving forward with some real solutions.