Monday, February 9, 2015

THE GRAMMYS ARE BACK AND IT WAS BOTH EXCITING AND BORING AS HELL DEPENDING ON THE HOUR IT WAS ON

Last night Grammys returned which was both better than expected and awful beyond words at times. First off,  please tell me why Iggy Azalea is up for anything especially an award for excellence? Her music is pedestrian at best and before you say I am a middle aged white guy who doesn't understand rap, know that I am big fans of people like Eminem, Beastie Boys, Snoop Dog and Ice-T. To be honest, I like rap a whole lot more than almost every modern country star, and that was true of last night as well.
As much as I don't like Azalea, her music didn't make me as furiously angry as Miranda Lambert's ear piercing song last night that didn't seem to have lyrics for most of it. Why does country have to suck so hard lately? It wasn't always like that as I have stacks of CD's from real country stars like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson. I will give credit to some country stars as of late like Carrie Underwood, The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum for putting out better than expected music. But last night's parade of barely talented country stars made me want to retch.

The show got off to a rocking start with AC/DC and the show never recovered after that with a nonstop dirge of slow, and I do mean slow, songs. The last hour played like a funeral march. Katy Perry and Beyoncé nearly put me to sleep and I am officially sick of the Common/John Legend song that I will have to hear AGAIN during the Oscars. This song played like a slick advertisement for Selma rather than a needed song, especially as it was nominated for zero Grammys.
Highlights was any act over the age of forty, including a brilliant performance from Annie Lennox and Hozier doing "I Put A Spell On You." ELO rocked, Beck sounded great and you can never go wrong with Tom Jones or Tony Bennet. I saw Beck years back and I was not a fan going in. After his concert though I went out and brought several of his CD's, one of which, Odelay, I am listening to right now as I write this. Get it, it's one of the best CD's ever. Sia performed to the wall as an unrecognizable Kristen Wiig danced in what appeared to be my old dorm room with a fuck load of light bulbs. One of the best acts was Pharell's catchy song "Happy."

Lowlights were pretty much any country act which is rapidly becoming a hated form of music for me. I like Yoko Ono better than some of this crap I heard last night in this genre. When did country become so unlistenable? The last hour was a slog of slowwwwww music and lackluster performances. One of the biggest complaints is the fact that Sam Smith won a zillion awards last night for "Stay with Me," that both me and fiancé recognized as a Tom Petty song the first time we heard it. Why should a song stolen from another win any awards let alone nominations? Seems lazy.

Fashion wise, some women appeared to have forgotten most of their dresses and I have no problem with that. More please. We also got a lecture from the some official that stealing music is bad, oblivious to the fact that record companies have been ripping us and artist off for years that then somehow segued into the in memorium part.
Kanye West sucked as always but did show a moment of humor when he pretended to go up on stage after Beck won over Beyoncé. That all went to hell later when he condemned Beck during the backstage press tour, to which even Beck admitted surprise to winning over Beyoncé. I hate Kanye West and his music is fucking terrible. His time on stage with the far superior Rhianna and Paul McCarthy proved that.

So next year guys can we please have peppier music and better acts? They exist out there, I swear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment